This guide will explain how to use Zabbix for monitoring Labkit/Satsite for both LTE & GSM.
Monitoring the BTS/eNodeB can be done using Zabbix Server.
This includes alarms for problems , statistics, graphs and KPI parameters.
In order to have the full functionality as per this guide, you need to have:
- Yate-enb 7825 or newer
- Yate-common 1.7.1 or newer
Note: Yate-common 1.7.1 is not currently part of the public release yet but its released for labkits.
Zabbix server Installation
Zabbix is an enterprise open source monitoring software, is used to monitor and track the status of various network services, servers, and other network hardware.
There are various methods for installing Zabbix server, we are going to use Zabbix appliance on Virtual Box.
- Install VirtualBox on your server
- Download Zabbix Appliance in the ovf extension
- From the VirtualBox -> File -> Import appliance -> browse for Zabbix appliance -> import
- Make sure you are running the desired network setting: Settings -> Network (For our server we are using Bridged Adapter)
- start the Appliance and login with appliance/ zabbix
- apply the command (ifconfig) to know Zabbix IP address
- From any device with reachability to the Zabbix server, open the browser and enter http:///zabbix
- You should be able to login with Admin / zabbix
For monitoring the Basestation functionality, we need to configure Zabbix (TM) PHP active agent for Yate based products. It uses the Zabbix version 1 JSON to push requested data to a Zabbix server. Zabbix.php is an active agent and is included in yate-common rpm package.
- Login to the Labkits/Satsite via ssh (ssh yatebts@<Basestation-IP> -p 54321) and user the credentials yatebts/<unit serial number>
- Open (or create, if it doesn’t exist) the configurations file ( /etc/yate/sdr/extmodule.conf) and add the following
- zabbix.php=server OR zabbix.php=server:port
- for multiple servers: zabbix.php=server:port,server:port,…
- systemctl restart yate-sdr.service
Zabbix server configurations
First step: Add the template to monitor the basestation
Second step: Add the Labkit/Satsite as host
- set Hostname to yate-sdr-ybts-
- Optionally set visible name for how you will see the host
- Create new group for basestations or use any predefined group
- Set the Labkit/Satsite IP address
- Make sure the host is enable
Third step: Link the host(s) to the template
Configuration -> Hosts -> Select the host -> Template tab -> search for Template YateSDR and link it -> press update
Configuration -> Templates -> select (Template YateSDR) -> add the group of your hosts in the filed groups -> update
Verifying the configurations
To make sure your Labkit/Satsite is ready to be monitored using Zabbix From Configuration -> Hosts -> you should be able to find the basestation with Availability (ZBX) in green
Now, you can use Zabbix to monitor the Labkit/Satsite
Receive emails for triggers
Zabbix offer sending email notifications when triggers happen.
To configure it:
- Action tab: Name: Create the name & Conditions: Trigger name contain (string of the trigger you want to have notification for)
- Operation: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger happen
- Recovery: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger has been recovered
- Update operation: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger has been acknowledged
Note: Note: for Gmail users, you need to enable Less Secure APPs